Tuesday 24 April 2018

Exploring natural areas around earth day weekend

Spring is inching closer. Hopefully it will be with us for awhile when it arrives, allowing for a sustained bird migration. If it arrives full tilt and then jumps immediately into summer as has happened on occasion in the past, the bird migration (and spring wildflower season, etc) may be compressed into a very short time period giving very little time to enjoy it fully. Every year is different, so we must be prepared for whatever unfolds. Maybe if I changed my Snowy Owl header photo, spring might feel it is more welcome :-).

One evening recently I enjoyed meandering the dike trail at St. Clair NWA. There was only a light wind and excellent light. There were lots of American Coot......

....and no shortage of Canada Geese.

Pied-billed Grebes hooted and hollered from the safety of dense cattails. I heard my first American Bittern of the season. It was off in the distance of the NWA, and likely even if it had been close by, I wouldn't have had a photo op as they successfully rely on camouflage. I had hoped to hear either Virginia Rail or Sora while I was there, or even a King Rail. It is likely all three rail species were present somewhere in the NWA, but unless they are calling they are impossible to detect.

Sandhill Cranes on the other hand, are typically much more visible, and even more frequently, audible. I heard at least 5 and one flew by, although at a distance.
As I was leaving the NWA, I noted that at least 4 Great Egrets had decided to roost for the night in the shrubs and trees along the entrance roadway. It was challenging to photograph them through the density of the vegetation but managed to find a window of opportunity. I took this from inside the vehicle.
While driving along Winter Line, a bit south of Mitchell's Bay, I noted a lingering Snowy Owl perched atop of a grain bin. It didn't look as sleek as they normally do when they first arrive in the late fall. Perhaps it had a hard winter.




Yesterday I was back at Rondeau. A Virginia Rail had been noted by several birders the day before right near the beginning of the Tuliptree Trail. It was an odd place for one to show up; it must have just arrived from farther south, and misjudged the habitat. No one saw it yesterday, so hopefully it moved over to the much more suitable marsh. I did see a few birders along the trail, all anxious for evidence of some early bird migrants. As it turned out, there were lots of the typical species, but nothing unexpected.

I was going to check out the South Point Trail, as the mix of open and forested habitats lends itself to a good variety of species, and a good spot to see my first Blue-gray Gnatcatcher of the season. But it was still at least partially underwater, so I headed over to the west side of the trail, which doesn't have the same habitat variety and doesn't get birded as much. However it is a nice walk through the centre of the park's extensive forest, and is wonderful for solitude and sometimes some excellent birding.

On this day, it was evident that things like Hermit Thrush had recently arrived in good numbers. I estimated a minimum of 35 along the trail.
 Golden-crowned Kinglets were also plentiful, as were Ruby-crowned Kinglets. The latter species did not provide as good of a photo op.
Golden-crowned Kinglet
 Red-bellied Woodpeckers must be in full nesting mode. They aren't nearly as vocal as they were a couple of weeks ago, so aren't as often encountered.

 Tree Swallows are by far the most abundant swallow species currently around, and some are busily examining potential nest holes.
 At the very south end, the trail takes a sharp turn to the east where it eventually joins up with the other side. However as is common on the east side of the trail, this section is under water. The slough is very wide in this southern part, and amongst the tall vegetation, a Pied-billed Grebe was quite vocal.
I continued the last 100 metres or so out to the lake instead of wading through the flooded trail. However there were only a few scattered water birds in sight out on the lake, so I retraced my steps back to the trail entrance. On the return I saw an occasional spring wildflower trying to stay on schedule. Both Bloodroot....
....and Hepatica were noted.
There was a lot of water in the sloughs on either side of the trail, much to the delight of many amphibians I am sure. Leopard Frogs were heard in good numbers. This one decided the trail was the place to be.
Upon arriving home at the end of the afternoon, I received a text that a Townsend's Solitaire had been found at the entrance to the campground. I guess I left the park too soon! It would have been nice to see, of course. However it would not have been a new species for the park for me. I managed to catch up to one on April 30, 2011 near the Visitor Centre and got a photo or two.









2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling when one leaves the park too soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always the nagging suspicion that something has been missed! Oh well, it just means I have to go back that much sooner.

      Delete