Sunday 15 June 2014

Not a Nature Nugget, but.....

I've been away again, to North Bay. My daughter was married in Japan a few weeks ago, and a reception was held at North Bay on Friday the 13th. (That date was specifically chosen by the engaged couple many months ago.) With planning, travelling to and attending this event, I've been unable to post anything new for several days.

As we returned home afterwards, my thoughts reverted to memories of the landscape along our travel route. From North Bay south to a little south of Huntsville, the landscape is impressive, appearing almost pristine-like with the mosaic of coniferous forest, deciduous forests, rocks, hills, small lakes and wetlands. South of that, it becomes more settled, and thus altered, rather quickly. Approaching Toronto and then heading west on Hwy 401 for me is something to be endured, not necessarily enjoyed. Overall the memories are not terribly inspiring, really, but one in particular stands out. It relates to the recent 70th anniversary of D-Day.

What could possibly make such a connection along this heavily travelled corridor? This photo.





No, I hadn't made a trip to France and spotted a dilapidated, burned out tank left over from WW II. This was in southwestern Ontario.

A few years ago I was heading east along Hwy 401 at about dawn, in a foggy morning. All of a sudden out of the mist, I saw this image appear and it was almost surreal. I didn't have my camera with me (I know....I broke a cardinal rule for photographers......never leave home without it....:-). But I was on the wrong side of the highway anyway, not to mention being a bit late for the meeting I was going to. However I knew I was going to go by this again in the following couple of days, so intentionally prepared to capture this image, although it wasn't foggy this next time.

If you have travelled the Hwy 401 corridor between Chatham and London, you have gone by this site. It occurs about one kilometre west of the West Lorne interchange along the north side. I'm not sure how long it had been like this before I first noticed it in 2009. It is only a pile of logs, with one particular one positioned to appear like a turret gun. Processing it when I got home in B&W added to the historic effect, I thought.

By 2012, this pile of logs had collapsed, and by 2013, it was completely gone and the area where it was situated is now part of the cropland. But every time I go by, even now, I automatically look at this spot as a reminder of a creative photo op and even more importantly, the historic event which occurred as the Allies acquired a major foothold in France en route to defeating the invading Nazi army.


No comments:

Post a Comment