Wednesday 27 February 2019

Late February Birding in southern Chatham-Kent

Hints of spring continue to tease us, but the reality is that there could be quite a bit more winter. And although some bird migration is beginning, it isn't out of the ordinary yet. On some days checking out normal bird hot spots can be downright dismal. For example yesterday I spent about 40 minutes wandering through the campground at Rondeau and did not see a single bird! But that doesn't mean some of the park inhabitants don't see you.

Elsewhere in the park it was a little more rewarding. Each trip is a little different. In fact just a few days ago, after checking the campground hoping to see the Barred Owl that has taken up residence in the park since last December, I didn't find it. Just before I left the parking lot, I got a bird alert from Garry S that the owl was at camp site 182. I had been there less than an hour earlier without seeing it, but Garry and his brother Steve had come along and watched the owl fly by and land in an oak tree. Ten minutes later, I was there enjoying the bird as well.
I'm not sure if it is just my imagination, but the number of squirrels in the campground seem to be fewer in number lately.

Northern Cardinals are sometimes quite abundant. At times it is not unusual to see 20-30 in a day. The males are at about their brightest now.
 This Bald Eagle was perched high up in a cottonwood tree along Lakeshore Road. If traffic kept moving it didn't seem to be bothered, but stop along side of the road and point a camera lens at it, and in a matter of moments it decided to move on.
Elsewhere in the park, feeders are where birds are most likely to be found, as long as the feeders have been kept filled. Photo ops are sure to be had.
Am Tree Sparrow
 Am Goldfinches are starting to show a bit more colour as they transition to their breeding plumage.

Dark-eyed Junco
White-throated Sparrow
 Okay this next one is the non-native House Sparrow. Not all that exciting, and it isn't a species that I, or likely most bird photographers, search out to photograph. But when an opportunity arises, why not?
Yesterday I took the opportunity to go on a long hike around the central block of forest in the park, and while the birds were few and far between, I came across a very cooperative Pileated Woodpecker. I heard its distinctive pecking first as it was digging in to a tree trunk in its search for invertebrates. It was on the back side of this tree, but then came around into full view.
After a few more minutes, the bird apparently wanted to get to the other side of the trail, and in doing so, flew almost right at me. It passed by at eye level not more than 4 metres from me. This next photo isn't the sharpest, but it is one of the few I have ever taken of the species in flight, and shows the wing pattern.
 The Pileated landed in a tree very close to the trail, and continued on chiselling its way into the trunk in its search for insects. This photo is not cropped very much and even with me moving around slightly to get a better angle it did not seemed bothered with my presence. A closer look at this next photo even shows 2-3 pieces of wood chips it has just dug out. After taking almost 150 photos, I continued on up the trail while the bird kept on digging.

Rondeau Bay has been frozen over for the most part, with a few openings available for wintering and newly arriving waterfowl.
Snow Geese, Greater White-fronted Geese and even a couple of Ross's Geese have been seen with the larger and much more abundant Tundra Swans and Canada Geese. Photos have been difficult, but a couple of days ago, Jim B noted that there were nine Greater White-fronted Geese on a grassy patch adjacent to the bay at Shrewsbury.
Eight of the nine
Getting a drink from the bit of standing water
 The birds were quite cooperative for me as I sat in the vehicle, getting a few photos. But then a Raccoon came along, not a normal mid-day sight. I expect that it is probably dealing with the deadly distemper disease and acting atypically.
 The critter sauntered up to the geese, causing a bit of consternation.
 A few moments later a couple of construction vehicles came along and entered the property immediately adjacent to the grassy patch and together with the presence of the Raccoon, caused the geese to move onto the open water of the bay. The Raccoon ventured out to the edge of the ice, but gave up after a few minutes and came back on land.
 The geese remained out in the water.
Nine Greater White-fronts and one Canada
 Meanwhile an adult Bald Eagle soared overhead.....
 ....which caused a great commotion amongst the several thousand ducks resting out on the bay. Most were Canvasback and Redhead, but there were Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead and scaup sp mixed in with them. The eagle kept on going and the ducks returned to the water.

I also wanted to check to see if the Great Horned Owls that are often along the Erieau Rail Trail were into nesting mode yet. On the way over I noted that the Bald Eagle nest just northwest of Shrewsbury and visible from Fargo Road, had an adult sitting on it. I've seen this on at least 3 occasions recently so it seems this pair seems to think it is time. Other nests I've checked in Chatham-Kent don't seem to be quite at that stage yet.
I got to the Rail Trail and as I approached the owl's nest tree I came across some large waterfowl that seemed like they were pairing up for their own nesting action.

I heard, and saw, the Great Horned Owls in one of their typical perches. One is fairly visible, and the other is just to the left of the main trunk and mostly obscured.
Alas, when I got to the nest tree it was clear the owls would not be using it this year. It had been severely damaged by the ice storm of a week or so ago, and the main trunk was broken and lying on the ground. I'm not sure what the owl's Plan B is, but it will be worth keeping an eye out for other possible nest sites nearby.











2 comments:

  1. 'It passed by at eye level not more than 4 metres from me' - I love this photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. It was definitely one of the more memorable overall encounters with this large woodpecker species.

      Delete