Monday 24 June 2019

Wildlife in a Giant Sand Box

Ok not a sand box, per se. But at one of my favourite sandy natural areas. It is the St. Williams Conservation Reserve in Norfolk County, near Simcoe. During my OMNR career, it was at the far east end of our district, and I didn't get to it often, but it was always a highlight when I did get there. Sadly, I had only made it there once since I retired more than 7 years ago, so this month I made a point of spending time there on a couple of occasions.

June is a colourful time of year to be there. One of the main features is the presence of Wild Lupine. In this first photo, Marie (in the distance) is following the path that goes through a large stand of it.


 There were a few bees enjoying the lupine.
 Other plants, some quite rare, could be found in this area. This first one is an Endangered species, known as Cucumber Magnolia. It is closely related to Tuliptree.

 Bird's-foot Violet is another Endangered species.
 Moss Phlox is not officially rare, but it certainly is not common anywhere.
But my main interest during these two forays was in butterflies, tiger beetles and the like. There were lots of American Coppers.
 Dreamy Duskywings were not common.

 I only saw one Eastern Pine Elfin and managed a couple of quick shots.
 Juvenal's Duskywings were quite abundant. On my second visit there, just a few days ago, I saw an estimated 15-20.
 I got my first of the year, Tawny-edged Skipper.
 I think this next one is a Wild Columbine Duskywing.
A new moth for me was this next one, the Nessus Sphinx. I got a few shots of it feeding on a cluster of puccoon flowers.

Tiger beetles were out in good numbers, especially on my second visit. Festive Tiger Beetles were especially abundant.

 Some were being a little....festive? It looks like the population will be continuing.
There was a fair number of Big Sand Tiger Beetles as well. They can really scamper, but some were either curious enough, or at least tolerant enough, to allow me to photograph them. I did very little cropping on these.


 While looking for tiger beetles, I noted a few other things, including this tiny critter. I was drawn to the movement, and it wasn't until I got a close look that I realized it was a type of grasshopper. When it was on the open sand, it was well camouflaged. It was only about 5-6 mm in length. It turns out to be a Mottled Sand Grasshopper, which at maturity is 20-25mm in length, so this one is just a nymph.
 There were lots of wasps and bees of various shapes and sizes. This one is a small Thread-waisted Wasp of the Ammophila genus, which means 'sand lover'. I haven't found out what the species is.
So much to see in just a few hours. I hope to get back again soon!


3 comments:

  1. What a lovely spot. Loved the American copper, both types of tiger beetles and the strange Nessus Sphink moth.
    Love and blessings Paula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. It is a fascinating place, with lots of sand blow out areas as well as pine plantation and oak forest, so lots of area for lots of things. Just not enough time to explore it all adequately as it is almost 200 km from home, so it makes for a long day.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete