Sunday 10 May 2020

Early May explorations

The good news is that non-operating provincial parks (i.e. those without campgrounds) will be open beginning tomorrow, May 11, and operating parks, such as Rondeau, will be open for day use beginning on Friday, May 15. So those of us who have been playing by the rules, will finally be able to get into some of our favourite places like Rondeau. I know there are those who disregard the rules and have entered closed provincial parks from time to time over the past few weeks. Unfortunately there are occasionally a few people who think rules apply to others, not themselves and sometimes even flagrantly post their observations from those closed places on eBird. Shame on them!

In the meantime, there are other places to explore that are open. I was at the Erieau/McGeachy Pond trail the other day. It was one of those very windy days (remember them?). During the hour or so I was along the trail, there was only one young couple who (safely) passed me by.

The birds were mostly in the sheltered places of course, which is where they were most likely to find insects.

Palm Warblers were abundant. I estimated at least 20 along the trail, most of which were on the gravel path or nearby shrubbery.
 One of them took time from the busyness of hunting for food, to sing.
 It was windy, with quite brisk NW winds. Most birds, if they got up a bit, had their feathers ruffled, such as this Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, one of at least 4 I saw along the trail....
 .....and this Yellow-rumped Warbler.
 There were a few Hermit Thrush.....
 ...and several Yellow Warblers.
 White-crowned Sparrows outnumbered White-throated Sparrows by at least 10:1.
 There wasn't much flowering, except in a couple of places where patches of Purple Dead Nettle occurred. It is not native.

A brief stop at Sinclair's Bush resulted in seeing some nice displays of Marsh Marigold in the lower wet spots.

 Sinclair's Bush is always worth a visit to see the abundant diversity of wildflowers. Red Trilliums are often more nodding (not to be confused with the much less common Nodding Trillium) than White Trilliums.

 Wild Blue Phlox, easily identified by its pin-wheel appearance, is starting to appear.
One day when I was on my way to Tilbury, I stopped by Fletcher Ponds. It was way too windy and exposed to see much in the way of birds, but along the path I came across these Shaggy Manes. I am more likely to see them in the autumn.....does that mean we missed summer? Some days it seems like it!
I have been to Paxton's Bush on the north side of Chatham on several occasions. It helps that it is only a 10 minute walk from home. At this time of year, among other things, I am checking on the nesting Great Horned Owls. That saga is coming to an end, but I will leave that for a future post. There have been a few migrant birds, but not many. I had my first Chimney Swift of the year there today, along with a few of the usual warblers. A pair of Eastern Phoebes are in the process of building a nest under the bridge that crosses the creek.
 Mallards have hatched at least a few ducklings.

 So far this Eastern Gray Squirrel has safely evaded the Great Horned Owl buffet unlike some of the local American Crows.
 It has been somewhat dry so far, and the spring wildflowers seem to be in less abundance than usual. But Spring Beauty continues to thrive....
 ....as are a few willows, just coming into flower.
With the warming temperatures this week, along with the forecast southerly to southwesterly winds, I expect the bird migration to get into high gear, so stay tuned and stay safe!






2 comments:

  1. Great list of bird sightings, and great pictures! How I wish I could still get out and do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Furry, it is unfortunate that your outdoor explorations are greatly curtailed. I note on your blog that you have had a White-crowned Sparrow come and visit you!

      Delete