Saturday 23 October 2021

More fungi and bird migration highlights

 There have been some recent good winds from time to time, resulting in lots of raptor migration activity. Sometimes even close to home! On more than one occasion, Marie has drawn my attention to Turkey Vultures spiraling in good numbers visible from the front patio. 

These Turkey Vultures were circling over Paxton's Bush, which is less than a kilometre away from our house. I suspect they roosted there over night, as this was around 9 in the morning when the temperatures were getting to the level where there was some 'lift' for the birds to use. Occasionally there were hawks mixed in, usually Red-tailed, although on one occasion a few weeks ago Broad-winged Hawks were the main raptor.

Blue Jays have been showing some daily movement, and sometimes almost right overhead. I captured this photo of one flying over the driveway.

On another occasion we went out to Morpeth Cliffs, just a few kilometres east of Rondeau, which has been known as a good vantage point to observe migrating raptors when the wind is correct. Back in the day when I was working at Rondeau, I spent a few lunch hours over the course of each autumn, with my eyes to the skies looking for raptors. It is still a good spot, although doesn't get quite the same notoriety as places along the Lake Erie shoreline farther to the southwest, where any raptor movement is bound to be more concentrated as the birds search for a location where there is the least amount of water to pass over.

As usual these days, Turkey Vultures....not really a raptor in the true sense, but have similar migration habits....are the most abundant migrant.

Some pass by quite low. This photo is not really cropped; I just couldn't get the whole bird in it was so low.
Red-tailed Hawks, shown next, were regular in small numbers, and an occasional Red-shouldered Hawk, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk and American Kestrel, were also seen, but were not close enough for a good photo.
I had 5 Bald Eagles go by, with the occasional one close enough for a photo, albeit a cropped one. I also had a Golden Eagle pass by, but too far away for a photo.
sub-adult Bald Eagle

Another migrant species, although not an avian one, was this Monarch, sipping away at some late-flowering dandelion flowers right close by.

While at Rondeau visiting some friends, there were a few kettles of vultures noted, as well as a few small birds hunting for something near a patch of tallgrass prairie. There were at least a couple of Eastern Bluebirds, although only one stuck around long enough for a photo. As it was in a tree, there were more shadows than clear views. It was the first one of the fall for me.

I stopped at Erieau on one occasion, hoping to catch up to the Purple Sandpiper on the pier that had been reported somewhat irregularly. No success with the Purple, but I did have 38 quite cooperative Sanderlings flying by, or landing on the pier quite close by. At one point they let me walk within two metres, too close to photograph with the lens I was using. I often find Sanderling to be fairly tolerant of humans, so I wasn't overly surprised.


Later that day, I went to Keith McLean Conservation Lands, in hopes that the ibis sp. that was there earlier in the day was still around. It may have been, but I didn't see it, nor did the other birders that were there more or less at the same time. But I did have some success with other birds.

A young Long-tailed Duck was in the largest pond. It isn't the typical place, or time, one would expect to see this species here. They are much more likely a bit later in the season, and on the open water of Lake Erie.

Great Blue Herons are still regular, and likely will be until freeze-up.
I checked some productive weedy patches for sparrows, and saw lots. There were several Savannah Sparrows, shown next....
.....as well as a few Swamp Sparrows, below. It was nice for them to sit up long enough for a few decent photos. Song Sparrows were also around, but less cooperative for the camera.
There were at least a couple of Nelson's Sparrows, and this one sat out in the more or less open, which isn't always the case. KMCL has become a reliable spot for autumn migrating Nelson's Sparrows over the last few years. It wasn't that long ago that the species was really hard to find any time of the year, but with the availability of the KMCL, it has become relatively easy to find. Perhaps they were there before, when Keith McLean owned and farmed the area, but the property was not accessible. Thanks, Keith!

Marie and I have been to Rondeau at least a couple of times for various things, and we always spend a bit of time looking for fungi. 

Marie taking a break from fungi hunting

With Marie's eyes being sharper than mine, I call her my fun-girl :-). The fungi were a little less noticeable the last time or two, compared to the warm damp conditions of earlier in the month, but there are always a few. The first two are probably a member of the Gymnopilus genus.


This next one is actually part of the same Gymnopilus cluster, but clearly has been attacked by another fungus. It is a hard life out there, even for fungi!


Honey Mushroom type

Waxy Scarlet Cap type

Another of the Honey Mushroom type
This next one may be Mycena haematopus.

This next one is a type of Geastrum, a.k.a. Earthstar.

 

 And slugs gotta eat too! Not sure what kind of fungus this little slug is chowing down on.

This past Wednesday, the weather looked reasonably promising for some late season black lighting, so off I went to Rondeau. I figured the light southerly winds off the warmer water would keep the temperatures from falling to the point where moth action ceased. I had forgotten that on this day, it was full moon, and after I got my equipment set up, I looked over and saw the moon emerging over the lake. I took a bit of time to enjoy that spectacle, although a little cloud spoiled my first photo attempts as it was climbing the sky. I had to wait until it got a bit higher and fully visible, so it isn't quite as large and orange as it started off as.


I hadn't seen this full moon rise over the lake for quite a few years. It was a regular thing back in the day when for five and a half years, Marie and I lived in the park, with our home looking over the lake. We enjoyed the sunrise and moon rise on a frequent basis! That was 'many moons' ago, and this event brought back lots of good memories of those days. And my best friend Marie and I recently celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary!


If you want to subscribe, or unsubscribe, to Nature Nuggets, send me an email at: prairietramper@gmail.com


2 comments: