Thursday 25 January 2024

Firstly, the Limpkin that had been seen by multiple birders over the past few weeks, is no longer there. Just before the cold spell where it was seen sitting in the snow, and the mystery snails it was feeding on were no longer very accessible due to ice, it was captured and taken to a wildlife rehab centre. I don't know the details, only that it is gone, hence I have taken down its header photo and replaced it with something more in keeping with the times.

Just prior to the recent cold and snowy period, I tried to get out to see what was around in the former Dover Twp, just in case a Snowy Owl was visible. Maybe one saw me, but the reverse was not the case. I did manage to photograph a field or two of Tundra Swans, enjoying the mild weather.


They seemed to anxious to move on, however, as there were various groups taking flight and heading southeast. Undoubtedly they wanted to get out of the reach of the impending storm.

Since there was still open areas at Erieau, I managed to catch up to a few things, including:

American Coot

Double-crested Cormorant

Redhead
Along my travels on this day, I swung by the Stefina Line pasture, where Wilson's Snipe are known to be. I think the day before there were 4 seen, but I only saw this Great Blue Heron trying to stay hidden behind this berry bush....


...two of the snipe, at a considerable distance...
...and a Rusty Blackbird, also at a distance and in poor lighting, hence just a poor record shot.

Dark-eyed Juncos seem to be more plentiful in various locales.

And then the snow arrived, and along with it, even a few sunny days. It was great to see a few birds such as Snow Bunting, Horned Lark and Lapland Longspur, all feeding on some partially exposed corn cobs in fields adjacent to the road way. The Snow Buntings were quite flighty, so no shots of them, just these other two species.

Horned Lark


Lapland Longspur



It is hard to know what to expect next with the seasonal ups and downs, and currently in our January thaw.


If you would like to subscribe, or unsubscribe, to Nature Nuggets, email me at: prairietramper@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment