Wednesday 10 July 2024

Nature Nuggets continues, sort of...

 Readers of my most recent blog will understand why I have not been posting anything lately. I decided to have the month of June devoted to that single post, featuring the passing of my dear wife, Marie. It has been a difficult time, certainly like nothing else I have experienced, which isn't surprising given that we had spent nearly 48 years together.

In spite of this, I did manage to get out for short periods since she passed away, partly to re-live memories, and partly to enjoy the ambiance of nature which was so important to both of us. Also to take a break from the never-ending details that come after the death of a loved one! I purposely chose times and places where I was most apt to be by myself rather than get caught up with many other hikers who were out for very different reasons. But get out I did, and had my camera with me of course. I managed to find a few things to capture on digital film, and some of those highlights will be in this blog. Lots of common things, but worthy in their own right. Since one cannot travel through the natural areas of southwestern Ontario without coming across some less common things, I will include some of them as well.

Certainly one of the highlights, from a bird perspective, was to come across a few Dickcissels. It used to be an extremely rare species in Ontario, but in the last few years has been more or less regular.

They often sit out in the open, near a large grassy field, and sing throughout the day.

Quiet trails worked out nicely for my various outings.

...with the occasional bird song punctuating the woodland atmosphere, such as this Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
Wild Turkeys are not often seen, but with a few families of young birds to add to the overall population, there are a few more to be found.
Wood Lilies often catch my eye as they almost glow in the normally dark forest setting.....
..but should not to be confused with the very abundant Day Lily, next, a non-native species that is most likely to be found along Lakeshore Road, as they have escaped from cottage lots.
Purple Flowering Raspberry is scattered along woodland trails. Even though it is a raspberry, it does not produce fruits that we find edible.
There is lots of Mayapple scattered throughout the main forested areas. As the season progresses, they may be heavily spotted with Mayapple Rust.
In the grassy areas, especially those areas which were burned this spring, Butterfly Milkweed is widely found.
There is no question that it is attractive!
A very rare species, the location of which I will not divulge, is American Ginseng. I have been watching this population for many years. This first photo shows what it looks like at about the very end of May. You can see some very small flower buds developing at the central stem.
This next photo shows what it will look like in mid to late June, on the verge of flowering.
I did not get to it this year to see it in flower. By the time I did get to it, flowering was past and fruit pods were developing. They will turn red when ripe.
Canada Anemone has been widespread, although it is mostly past flowering by now.
A non-native orchid can be found scattered in various places. It is Helleborine, a European species.

Fungi are here and there, but will be more noticeable later in the summer and early fall. This one is a White Jelly Fungus.
On one of my forays, I was walking along the road and this young cottontail was nibbling away at some greenery. It did not mind me approaching at all, as I took this photo with my 100 mm macro lens. I am not sure whether it was able to survive for long or not. Just a few minutes earlier, and only a short distance away, I had a Long-tailed Weasel scamper out onto the road. It was only there for a couple of seconds so I was unable to get a photo. But if it scented this little bunny, I am sure it would be after it in a flash, as it would be a perfect meal for this weasel.

Also in the greater Rondeau area, I spent a bit of time along the Erieau Rail Trail. There is always something to see, including Great Blue Herons...

...the inevitable Mute Swans...
..and a few Eastern Kingbirds.

Turtles abound still, although not as much as in late April and early May. Northern Map Turtles, a Species at Risk, are found regularly.

That's all for now. I have been other places, such as Clear Creek Forest Provincial Park and St. Clair NWA, but those outings will have to wait to be featured on a future post.


If you would like to subscribe, or unsubscribe, to Nature Nuggets, send an email to: prairietramper@gmail.com


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got out amongst the beauty and the comfort of nature to be alone amongst special places with joyous memories of Marie. Apart yet somehow I believe she was there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I agree as it sometimes felt she was right there with me. Other times, however, it felt like I was very much alone :-( The beauty of nature was a constant companion, fortunately.

      Delete
  2. It is good to see you back on here. Beautiful photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Richard. It is good to be back on, in many ways. I plan to continue, but maybe not quite as often as I had been. Time will tell.....

      Delete
  3. It is good to get out in the comfort of nature during a difficult time. Myself, I find it quite soothing and relaxing during those times and I am sure you find it that way as well.
    We were all saddened with the passing of Marie, and we wish you all the best in the future. The wind may have been knocked out of your sails, but I am sure fair winds are in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blake. It has been a very difficult last few weeks especially, and the grieving process continues. Who knows for how long? And yes, time in nature has always been a source of healing for many reasons, so I plan to continue regular forays there.

      Delete