Monday 30 November 2020

Before I had a blog...

 ....I was spending lots of time in the field, and photographing as much as I could, whether it be landscapes, flora or fauna. But I didn't start this blog until several years after I retired. 

This blog is post #500. I didn't really know where my blog adventures would take me, or how long it would last. All of the posts have included various stories of interest, at times including some ecological wisdom (I hope!), highlights of my outings, and almost 7000 photos! It has been fun, and keeps me getting out of doors, as there is always something to see and photograph. And of course the encouragement I receive through comments on this site, as well as those sent privately or in person when I meet up with folks in the field, are always motivating. I hope to continue this for quite awhile in the future.

This post will highlight some of those photos that I took before I started this blog, and are among some of my favorites over the years. Some will even hearken back to film days!

This first one is of an open savanna habitat at the north end of Rondeau. It had been burned earlier in the spring, and the vegetation responded in impressive fashion, with the Butterfly Milkweed highlighting the landscape. This was taken in June, 2009. It was almost exactly a year later when I was photographing this again, that a Gulf Fritillary butterfly came into view at a nearby patch of this milkweed. I got a single photo, and at the time it was the first photographic record to confirm this species for Ontario. (Click on the photos for a larger version.)

We don't get a lot of hard winter in this part of Ontario, but when it does arrive, it can be photogenic. This is one of the sloughs along Bennett Avenue at Rondeau, after a fresh wet snow fell and clung to the trees while the water in the sloughs was not yet frozen.
The sloughs and forest along Bennett Ave are often a place I like to target for photography. The settings vary so much depending on the time of year and weather of the day. Foggy conditions can give an ethereal mood to it.
 

Harrison Trail

In the next two photos, Marie is a point of interest as she explored Tulip Tree Trail. I got her to wear her yellow coat to stand out. It is always nice to have a willing subject!

On another foggy day, I wanted to capture a bit of the oak savanna near the Rondeau campground. Back in the 70s and 80s most of this was regularly mowed. Fortunately to save a bit of $$, areas not in use as important day use were left to regenerate, and this relatively narrow stretch of the park is some of the most impressive remnants of Black Oak savanna.

The same Black Oak savanna on a sunnier day.

At the southeast part of the park, there is some Pine\Oak savanna. It was managed as a campground in the late 50s and into the early 70s, when the record (at the time) high water levels of Lake Erie caused it to be closed. It regenerated nicely, and has undergone several prescribed burns to maintain the savanna feature. However with the even higher water levels of the last few years, burns have not been possible, and much of the openness has been overtaken by wetland loving shrubs, especially Gray Dogwood. For anyone familiar with the park, you might wonder about the vantage point this photo was taken. I confess, back in the day when I was the park naturalist, the light beacon, while having a chain link fence around the base of it, did not have the warning/danger No Trespassing signs that it has had in recent years. It was in about 1982 when I climbed over the fence and went up the ladder to the top of the tower and took a few shots to get this perspective. Given the changes that have happened since, I am glad I did, as it is the only one of its kind!

Pines have always gotten my interest, and is part of the reason that when we moved into Chatham, I purposely planted 4 White Pines around our urban yard. I particularly like this image. In a small crevice of a very old decomposing White Pine stub, is this seedling of the same species getting a start in life. Chances are it didn't survive, as it was just the right height for a passing White-tailed Deer to nibble on.

This is a different White Pine, which made me think of a Tom Hanks character.

Forrest Stump

The ground cover of a forest is full of diversity, but one of the things I always gravitate to are ferns.

Broad Beech Fern
The sloughs of Rondeau, especially when the water levels drop by mid summer, are typically full of ferns.


A spleenwort species
Sloughs and woodland pools are always fun to explore. While I was doing some field work assessment in Lambton County in the early 2000s in preparation for a proposed major industrial development, I came across this woodland pool. It looked perfect for Prothonotary Warbler habitat, although it was a little ways away from where one would normally expect to find that endangered species. But I went back another time under better photographic conditions with my camera as I was especially fond of capturing the three oaks across the pool. No Prothonotaries have ever been reported from this site to my knowledge, although it is well off the beaten path on private/industrial property, so it hasn't really been examined effectively. I have a large photo of this hanging up in the house.
Wetlands are challenging to explore, but so often worth the effort. This next photo is of a small part of the ~1000ha Rondeau marsh, taken from the now dismantled observation tower along the trail. More on wetlands another time.
Over the course of my career, I spent a lot of time on Pelee Island. Fortunately I didn't always have to spend the time, sorting out endangered species conflicts on private land. I managed to get a bit of time exploring one of the various nature reserve properties, such as Fish Point Provincial Nature Reserve at the southern tip of the island. The spring wildflowers are incredible there. This shows an expanse of White Trillium, but there are numerous other species that are just as abundant and dominant at different times.
 
 Habitat for the endangered Blue Racer was often the reason for a land use conflict. Pelee Island is the only place in Canada where the species is currently known from. It used to occur in a few places on the Ontario mainland, but as is so often the case, other human use conflicts resulted in the wildlife suffering and being eliminated from the landscape.
Night time photography is something I have played at from time to time, as readers of my most recent blog may remember. In the case of this next photo, I was on Pelee Island for some field work for a couple of days, and it coincided with a full moon rising. Normally a full moon photo would be quite large, featuring just the moon. For this photo I had a very wide angle lens to show the rocky shoreline. It was an 8 second exposure, so the gentle wave action smoothed out nicely, and it wasn't too long to make the moon show any movement. 

 On another occasion I used nothing but the light of the full moon to light up some pilings out in the lake off the shore near McGeachy Pond, Erieau.
And on another occasion I just used the full moon light for a 49 second exposure, to light up the Erieau pier showing a few gulls that were roosting there for the night, and also capturing the red light of the light beacon.
I've also had a leaning towards sunrise and sunset photos. I try and carefully plan for what I want to capture, so knowing the landscape and opportunities are critical, as is checking on the forecast weather conditions. As most serious photographers will know, light is one of the most important elements of successful photos. This next photo is a panorama of several images I captured at the north end of Bear Line in Chatham-Kent, looking out over the vast wetlands of Walpole Island First Nation. I plan to devote a blog in the near future to some of my more successful attempts at such photo types.

While landscape type photos are a mainstay of my photography, I will jump at the chance to capture photos of individuals that may tell a story.

Finding a Black-Crowned Night Heron in winter is unusual. This immature heron was so intent on finding something to eat in January that it didn't mind me parking at the road side with my camera aimed at it.

This next photo was quite unexpected, but I'll take it!

Herons are always great subjects. I have photographed a rookery of Great Blue Herons on Rondeau Bay from my kayak on occasion, which gave some great photo ops.


Great Egrets are sometimes quite tolerant of photographers, as this next one was feeding at a sewage lagoon.

On one occasion, when the water levels were low at St. Clair National Wildlife Area, upwards of 100 egrets decided to use one open spot as an overnight roost. I had to be in place and set up before sunrise, so the light was quite limited. Fortunately the egrets were rather motionless at this time before they left for their feeding grounds elsewhere, so even though the photo exposure was almost half a second, the birds showed little or no movement.

When a Great Egret flies right overhead, a backlit bird shows the bone structure in their wings. Such brilliant white in a bird against the intensive blue sky is always pleasing.

Much smaller, more secretive and less tolerant towards photographers is the Green Heron, so photo ops are not plentiful. I always like the intensive look on their face.

 

Photos are where you find them. I photographed this cottontail from our kitchen window, as it was hunkered down in a small prairie patch awaiting the snow.

Other times, photos are planned. I like the image of a Purple Coneflower in its brilliant purple colour, but decided to show it a little differently on one occasion, as the petals are still pale while emerging.

On another occasion while photographing waterbirds at Erieau, it was in March and the Ring-billed Gulls which most people don't pay a lot of attention to, are in their finest breeding plumage, and are quite territorial.

Sometimes subjects are staked out. Owls are always a crowd pleaser, and the presence of this very northern Great Gray Owl that showed up in Essex a few years ago, drew hundreds of people over the several weeks it was around.

While exploring the Rondeau marsh in my kayak, I came across several Northern Map Turtles sunning. Normally if one is walking in the presence of turtles, they are quick to escape into the water. But from a kayak, it is a whole different story. I actually had the front of my kayak within a metre of this turtle, and at one point had to carefully move the kayak back as I was too close to focus!

Coming across a cooperative, brilliant Scarlet Tanager always calls for photos. I came across this one in the wilds of Rondeau on one occasion, and perhaps it was a bit exhausted from its previous night of flight, as it was very cooperative.

On one occasion when I was doing some inventory field work for a project in eastern Chatham-Kent, I came across a small wetland which had some junk in it. But some Midland Painted Turtles were making the best of the situation.

Tired Turtles

Having spent so much time over the years at Rondeau, I had numerous opportunities to photograph deer, especially during those years when they were so abundant. This next photo is one of my favourites, scanned from a slide taken in the 80s.

Wood Lilies are often fun to photograph, especially as a single flower is emerging amidst an extensive green background.

An earlier photo of this post featured a sunset over the Walpole wetlands. As mentioned previously, I have tried to capture various images featuring sunset or sunrise photos, especially before the sun shows above the horizon or immediately after it goes behind. The effects can be dramatic, and I will focus more on that in a future post. Here are three Red-breasted Mergansers drifting along on the lake in the early morning glow of the sun, which has not yet appeared above the horizon.

But sometimes one can capture an image with it showing.

Photography is such an awesome way to spend time, especially during such chaotic times. I expect that most people have been experiencing varying levels of stress and anxiety over the past few months, and clearly the sources of stress and anxiety are not over with by a long shot. So with that in mind, here is a great way to spend a few minutes putting things in perspective. Check out this link.

Until next time....

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Allen, what an amazing group of photos! I personally love the landscape ones of the forest, but your bird photos are always great. Nice to look back over your life like that. It's what keeps me sane these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Mr. FG. I consider that high praise from someone like yourself, as you have been photographing/blogging and working in all sorts of ways over the years to highlight natural areas and educate folks. You are a bright spot in Meaford and beyond!

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I love the Great-grey Owl and Scarlet Tanager Photos. Also that peace be still photo is really cool, and the song is also really good.
    Have a good day and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you Zane for your kind comments, coming from a fellow blogger who loves bird photography and has some excellent photos to show for it.
    That photo lent itself so nicely for the Peace message, I couldn't resist. And God's Blessing back to you!

    ReplyDelete