Thursday 5 November 2020

Great Photo Ops Of Some Less Common Birds

 When the wind is right, birding along the north shore of Lake Erie in the autumn is a prime location from which to watch for migrants. One of the more accessible, and productive, locations is near the Craford Cemetery, a little way west of Blenheim. The view of the lake itself isn't as good as some other locations, but birds following the lakeshore tend to get a bit more concentrated here, it seems.

A few days ago, I spent several hours there, along with half a dozen other birders. The raptors were a bit slower than we had hoped, but the finches more than made up for it. We had lots of Pine Siskins, Purple Finches, American Goldfinches and other species, but by far the highlight was the massive number of Evening Grosbeaks. Over about a 4 hour period, our group totalled almost 1350 individuals flying over. You read that correctly: almost 1350 of this declining species came over. The winter finch forecast for the fall of 2020 had indicated the food crop wasn't all that great in their more northerly territories and to be on the lookout for them. They were in groups of a dozen or so to as many as about 60 or so. Photographing them as they came quickly and steadily. albeit intermittently, wasn't the easiest, but I managed to get a few acceptable photos. This species doesn't show up every year, and even when they do, a small number of them is typically all one gets to see. This impressive total is by far the greatest number ever seen in the Rondeau area, especially in such a short amount of time.

 

On a couple of occasions, some stopped in a tree, but not all that close to us, and not for long.

Raptors were scattered, but kept things interesting as well. There were Turkey Vultures, technically not a raptor, as well as Sharp-shinned and Red-shouldered Hawks, plus a few of the ones below.

Bald Eagle juvenile

Bald Eagle

Red-tailed Hawk

A couple of days later I spent some time roaming around Rondeau. I was on the lookout for more evidence of Beech Leaf Disease that I discussed in my previous post. Unfortunately I found some in yet a new area, and that is a part of the forest where American Beech is definitely the dominant tree species, so that will require further monitoring. But while I was out, I came across a few birds that cooperated reasonably well for the camera, and in decent light.

Cedar Waxwings were in small groups here and there, gorging on the berries of Wild Grape and Virginia Creeper.

Several Eastern Phoebes were scattered about, as is often the case this time of year.
I only had two Fox Sparrows, but they will likely become a bit more numerous in the weeks to come.
Golden-crowned Kinglet numbers are building, but they seldom sit still at all. I was surprised that I captured this one with the shutter speed at only 1/100th of a second.
A single House Wren popped up. There are a few scattered records of this species in November across southern Ontario, but very few, so I was a bit surprised to see and photograph this one.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet numbers are fairly healthy these days, but like its Golden-crowned relative, are in constant motion and hard to get photos of.

At one point, while roaming through the now closed (to camping) campground, I came across a small flock of kinglets and a nuthatch fussing near the top of a Red Cedar. Upon careful examination, I saw the reason: this Northern Saw-whet Owl was perched right near the top, and visible only through a narrow window.

For the time being, anytime one is passing by the Keith McLean Conservation Lands, it is worth checking out the flooded fields, especially with the mild weather allowing them to stay open. As a result, shorebirds are regular, including some less common ones. Dunlin, shown in the first photo, are by far the most abundant species right now.

There have been two Hudsonian Godwits present from time to time. The second image shows the white bar across the tail, helping out in the identification.

Long-billed Dowitchers are even less common at this time of year, but one showed up the day I was there, and has continued for a few days.

A White-rumped Sandpiper is probably most common here in the autumn, but most are long gone by now.

There is always a good diversity of waterfowl here, especially when hunting is taking place elsewhere nearby. A place for respite here is welcomed, I'm sure. Amongst the large numbers of Canada Geese, I noted 4 Snow Geese.

 

 Yesterday I decided to roam around the former Dover Twp, north of Chatham, on the lookout for Tundra Swans, Sandhill Cranes, and hoping even for a possible early Snowy Owl. Snowies have occasionally shown up in late October, so with the cold weather and north winds of a few days ago, I thought it was possible. However I only got one of the three possibilities. I estimated around 8500 Tundra Swans in scattered groups. They were mostly well out in the fields, and difficult to photograph due to the sunlight haze. Fortunately some flew overhead, going from one group to another.

 


It was while I was at the most northern part of my roaming that day, between Mitchell's Bay and Wallaceburg, when I got a bird alert about an adult female Magnificent Frigatebird having been seen near Erieau/McGeachy Pond and flying slowly westward along the lakeshore. Given my location and other commitments, as well as the fact that it was on the move and likely would be gone before I could get there to look for it, I struck out on this impressive bird sighting. So I missed seeing this friggin', er...Frigatebird. But it reminded me of the juvenile Magnificent Frigatebird that showed up at the south end of Rondeau back in early July of 2012. Thanks to the offer of a ride on their pontoon boat by the McArthur's, I was able to get out and see this resting bird from quite a close distance!

2012 photo



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment