Monday 20 December 2021

Rondeau/Blenheim Mega Christmas Bird Count

 Yesterday, Dec 19, 2021, was the annual Rondeau/Blenheim Christmas Bird Count. It started way back in 1939, making this the 83rd count.

We've come a long way since the start. Only 42 species, and a little over 3000 individual birds were tallied back on the first one. Of course the number of birders, not to mention the quality of optical equipment and other birding materials has increased immensely. I don't have the exact number of participants in those beginning days, but typically they numbered in the low teens, and participants often worked in groups. So not a lot of the total count circle was likely covered very thoroughly. The number of species often ranged from the low 40s to occasionally approaching 60 species in the years up to about 1968. 

I started participating on this count in 1969, at the invitation of some really keen birders who were seasonal staff members of the Rondeau Prov Park Naturalist group. Therefore the count yesterday was my 52nd. For the first few years, I participated with my dad and a neighbour, and we covered woodlots, creek systems and farmland within a few kilometres of home. But it was interesting to note that beginning that year, the number of species jumped to the mid-70s and except for an occasional year when nasty weather was a factor, has not been below 80 ever since. It wasn't just because my dad and I joined, although I like to think we helped; I firmly believe that the organizers of this count got a lot more serious in the number of birders participating, and put a lot more effort into the count. And that level of interest and organization has held steady over the decades, resulting in this count being one of the premiere ones in Ontario, at least going by the species totals.

Snowy Owls were always a highlight, and were the exception rather than a regular species during the first few decades.

As organization and efforts persisted, we finally broke the 100 species barrier in 1994, and with the exception, again with poor weather or for some reason fewer birders being available, we have seldom gone below 100 species ever since. It seemed that 115 species was the plateau, a number we reached on three separate occasions, with the first time being in 1997, and from then on we were greatly disappointed if we managed to 'only' account for fewer than 110.

And that brings us to 2021. We didn't just nudge the record of 115 species a bit higher, we smashed it big time. As of today, with a couple of people yet to submit their findings, the number stands at a staggering 123 species! No, that is not a typo: 123 species of birds were observed yesterday. New species for the count included Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Least Sandpiper.

Of course there were a good number of experienced birders. Most years we have between 20-25 birders, and this year it was about the same. This count is often in the running for the highest number of species of any Ontario count, and that is likely part of the reason why birders from well beyond Chatham-Kent decide to include it on their CBC events.

The weather cooperated as well, which is always a critical factor. It was cold, but no snow or ice really hindering anyone, and it wasn't raining. The northerly winds brought birds down nicely.

Beginning in the mid-1970s when I became the permanent park naturalist, my territory shifted to inside the park. For many years, it meant starting owling before day-break, then heading out to the south beach and walking out to Erieau, roughly 8 kilometres round trip, carrying 'scope and tripod, binoculars, some basic camera gear and with lots of winter gear because that trek is wide-open. About half the time I would go out by myself, although I enjoyed the company of others when available. There have been some serious wind and ice conditions, sometimes raining, but always worthwhile. 

 



This is what it can look like, once you get past the jungle at the beginning. A great spot for birds and birding!

After completing the south beach part of my territory, I would drive up to the north end of the park, drive part way down the marsh trail, and then walk or bike several more kilometres there. It was typically an exhilarating, but exhausting day, and often with some very unusual birds. I have had about 33 species of waterfowl, and 11 species of shorebirds somewhere on that route over the years. Highlights included Harlequin Duck, American Avocet, Western Sandpiper and Red Phalarope among others.

South end of the marsh trail
 My territory shifted a fair bit this year. For various reasons, I thought that someone with a lot better eyes and ears, not to mention stamina, should cover the south beach area. It can be rather challenging at times due to lots of downed trees and ice along the shoreline even getting to the open beach area. So although I drove to the south end of the western side of the South Point Trail, that is as close as I got. From there I set up at an open area and did a lake watch for about 1.5 hours. Then Jim B, almost 30 years younger, came to pick up his 'scope, etc., and he did the south beach.

My lake watch proved worthwhile, to be sure. I got the usual open water ducks and gulls. But the highlight was a massive movement of loons, mostly Red-throated. There had been a few reported along the east beach from time to time over the previous few weeks, but with the weather change over night resulting in brisk northerly winds coming off of Lake Huron well to the north, the loons were on the move. In that hour and a half, I counted an amazing 234 Red-throated Loons! And probably missed some as many were a long way out, and likely beyond my 'scope views. I also tallied 7 Common Loons, a good number as they typically pass through earlier. These photos of Red-throats were not taken yesterday, but were taken in a previous December.

 

 


Observers along the east side of the park saw good numbers of Red-throated Loons as well, and likely some were the same. But the timing of our respective lake watch periods did not always overlap, so undoubtedly there were well over 300 Red-throats that passed through the count circle. Our previous high was a mere 70.

Eventually I decided to go north in the park, as I was getting cold standing on the lake shore with brisk northerly winds, and fully expected there would be a different diversity of birds in the other habitats. I checked out the lake side at the north end. No loons of any kind that I could see, but there were at least a couple of hundred Ruddy Ducks floating around a little way offshore. Here are a few.

The woodlands can be fairly quiet, but there are things around. I didn't catch up to the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on this day, but have seen it other times. There was a good variety of the expected species, although this Ruby-crowned Kinglet is considered rare for the time of year. Most of these next ones were taken during the count.


There were lots of Northern Cardinals.....

....and a few White-throated Sparrows.....


....and House Finches.


 Black-birds were noticeable by their absence, at least in my area. I did see a single Common Grackle hunkered under a lawn chair at one cottage lot.

And sometimes you see other forms of wildlife, such as this well-known Rondeau inhabitant.

At one point as I was in the woods south of the log pond, I decided to try 'pishing' for birds, which worked a bit. But then I decided to give some Eastern Screech Owl calls, and that got some birds more stirred up, anxious to find this owl and harass it. I got a mix of White-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and even two Hermit Thrushes coming to check me out, thinking I was an owl. 

This Eastern Screech Owl is fairly reliable this time of year.




I ended the day with 45 species for my area, about average and not a bad total considering I didn't have any marsh habitat.

One count done, three more to go.


If you want to subscribe, or unsubscribe to Nature Nuggets, send an email to prairietramper@gmail.com

 

1 comment: